Share This Article
Food possesses the power to heal. Even our ancestors relied on readily available ingredients from the kitchen to remedy colds, coughs, flu, wounds, and infection. At You Care, we believe in the ability of food to act and behave like medicine when used within the frameworks of nature and consumed the right way. In no way does this mean that food alone can heal you. You have to ensure that you focus on your overall lifestyle – the quality of your sleep, movement, rest and recovery, and emotional health.
Deep and advanced cellular nutrition is one of our key pillars in the work we do. So, we want to draw your attention to five of the healthiest foods on the planet scientifically documented to perform unbelievable functions at a cellular level.
But first, disclaimers. Eat these foods only if they suit you. If they don’t, remember there will always be other options that work brilliantly for you. Each of us is unique. Sometimes certain foods are not available in the countries we live in, some foods we are allergic to, don’t like the taste, or don’t make us feel good. It is okay. There will be another set of five foods that suits your body because nature has blessed us abundantly with diverse foods, spices, vegetables, and fruits.
The power of pomegranates. Photo Credit: Unsplash
Did you know pomegranates have 3x more antioxidants than green tea and red wine? One of the most powerful fruits, it is loaded with antioxidants and vitamins – A, C, E, and K. Pomegranates boost your immune function and improve your skin and hair health. They are rich sources of fiber and folic acid. A heart-friendly fruit, you can consume it daily. Want to eat them every day? Choose the whole fruit over juice.
It is excellent for your bone health as it protects cartilage and joints. It also improves insulin sensitivity and can be beneficial for diabetes. It can improve your gut, memory, and brain health. Those with dementia, Alzheimer’s, and other degenerative neurological conditions are often encouraged to eat pomegranates because they can help the generation of neurons. The fruit also helps lower systolic BP, cholesterol, and triglycerides. Scientific studies also point out its benefits to boosting libido and fertility by improving blood flow to your reproductive organs.
Ellagic acid plays a huge role in keeping inflammation levels low and naturally controlling your estrogen levels when paired with a change in your overall lifestyle. It can be powerful in cases where patients struggle with excess estrogen in the body like ER-positive breast cancers, endometriosis, PCOD, fluctuation of period cycles, or early/difficult menopause. Even men with excess estrogen, prostate cancer, high chest or belly fat can benefit from pomegranates. You can find all pomegranate products here
Do you enjoy green tea? Photo Credits: Pixabay
We have been highlighting the benefits of green tea for ages. No, it is not just another fad. The science behind green tea is REAL.
Almost every medical journal points out its benefits for the prevention and management of cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, skin, hair, and liver health. Upcoming studies point out that combining green tea and exercise can reduce the severity of fatty liver disease (non-alcoholic fatty liver to alcoholic fatty liver) by 75%.
Green tea contains an antioxidant compound known as EGCG, which belongs to the family of polyphenols. These fight free radicals that can cause cell and DNA damage in the long run. According to recent studies, EGCG may be able to protect cells against cellular damage and lower inflammation. As a result, it accelerates the immune system’s ability to fight lung, colon, esophagus, mouth, stomach, small intestine, kidney, pancreas, and breast cancers. Green tea is also beneficial in reducing the damage caused by smoking to the lungs. It aids fat burn, enhances collagen production, and has anti-wrinkle properties.
Make that switch from aerated drinks to two cups of green tea, if it suits you. Again, don’t go drinking green tea all day just because it is on this list. Moderation is key for everyone. Get yourself good quality green tea. Shop for it here. Brew it fresh at home.
Cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
Do you love using pure coconut oil? Photo Credits: Unsplash
Did you know cold-pressed or virgin coconut oil resembles the constituents of breast milk? Two powerful ingredients in breast milk – Lauric acid and caprylic acid – that contribute to the growth and immunity of newborns are found in virgin coconut oil. There are a lot of myths out there that coconut oil is a saturated oil and therefore unhealthy. But the truth is there’s nothing wrong with having saturated oil. The problem is when you have processed saturated oils excessively.
Coconut oil has medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) that, unlike long-chain fatty acids, get easily digested by the liver and converted to energy in the form of ketones. Long-chain triglycerides do not readily convert into ketones and get stored as fat.
Pure coconut oil is the gift of nature that has a therapeutic effect on the human body.(Shop for it here). It benefits you from head to toe. Some of these benefits include:
- Lauric and caprylic acid support your immune system, encourage cellular growth and repair, and have antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and anti-parasitic properties.
- Coconut oil can help manage frizzy, dry, tangled, lackluster, dandruff, and lice-infested hair.
- It benefits patients with Alzheimer’s, dementia, Parkinson’s, epilepsy, and even autism who struggle with insulin resistance (inability to use glucose from your blood) by producing ketones as an alternate fuel. A mix of turmeric with black pepper and 1 tbsp cold-pressed coconut oil can aid the prevention of brain disorders, boost cognition, memory, and build and repair neuron activity in your brain.
- Oil pulling by swirling 1 tbsp of coconut oil first thing in the morning preserves oral health, fights candida, tooth and gum decay, bad breath, chapped lips, and sharpens your taste buds.
- One to two tablespoons of cold-pressed coconut oil in a day can work wonders for an underactive thyroid. Science also points out how regular consumption of pure coconut oil can help improve or reverse hypothyroidism.
- A good saturated fat, pure coconut oil lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglycerides and increases good cholesterol (HDL). Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties maintain heart health and fight plaque build-up.
- It is beneficial for those with a weak gut as it repairs the lining, kills bad bacteria (read candida, H.pylori) thriving in the colon, and eases constipation. It assists nutrient absorption and boosts digestive health too.
- Its antiviral, anti-parasitic, and detoxifying properties protect your liver from infections when used judiciously.
- Good for aching joints because of either arthritis or general wear and tear due to exercise or age. A hot oil massage left overnight can reduce inflammation and improve mobility.
- It is an excellent solution for cracked feet, fungal nail infections, calloused feet, heel spurs, Athlete’s foot, excessive sweating, and stinky feet.
- Coconut oil is also beneficial for dry and scaly skin, mosquito bites, stretch marks, fungal infections, and conditions like psoriasis, eczema, urticaria, and vitiligo, among others. It is an excellent natural makeup remover and SPF.
- Medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA) aid weight loss, burn belly fat, and gain muscle by boosting metabolism.
- Coconut oil also produces a feeling of satiety to help you with better control over food portions.
- Polyphenols and antioxidants in coconut oil play a role in the prevention and management of cancer. Coconut oil can also help manage the side effects of chemotherapy like low energy levels, weak digestion, constipation, dry skin, hair loss, and muscle wasting. Coconut oil fuels your body, but it also starves glucose-dependent cancer cells and inhibits their growth via apoptosis (cell death).
Learn more about the benefits of cold-pressed coconut oil here.
Make room for mushrooms. Photo Credits: Unsplash
We are not talking about magic mushrooms with psilocybin. But what we are referring to are edible mushrooms, whether these are shiitake, button, oyster, enoki, Chaga, Lion’s mane, or other varieties. From its rich fiber content to Vitamin D and even beta-glucans, mushrooms are a medicinal food in various ways. If you are allergic to it, avoid them. But if you have never experimented with them, there are different ways to cook them. From beautiful stir-fries to soups, salads and sauces – check out mushroom recipes from our holistic recipe corner here.
- Super immunity-boosters
- Easy and versatile to cook
- Rich in protein and soluble fiber
- Loaded with Vitamin D2
- Rich in copper, potassium, selenium, and antioxidants
- Boost heart health
- Loaded with protein, beta-glucan, minerals, and micronutrients, they are super beneficial for your gut health.
- Low Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) help control blood sugar levels
Mushrooms are also used extensively as an ingredient in face serums. Here’s why:
- Work as natural moisturizers
- Hydrate your skin
- Have anti-aging properties
- Help prevent acne
Yellow gold and its incredible benefits. Photo Credit: Pixabay
Turmeric is known as yellow gold or golden spice. Curcumin, a compound found in turmeric, is rich in antioxidants and highly anti-inflammatory. It is a fabulous spice loaded with nutrients and micronutrients that help you from cancers to various health and lifestyle conditions.
Of course, if you are on blood thinners or going in for surgery, you need to reduce your turmeric consumption. There are always contraindications that you need to check for – especially, if you are on any special treatment, undergoing surgery, or pregnant.
These exceptions aside, turmeric plays a massive role in the prevention and management of cancer, lowering inflammation, and correcting signaling pathways. When our signaling pathways are blocked, our body experiences confusion at a hormonal level. In the long run, this can affect gene expression and cause cancers and tumors to rapidly grow out of control even if you may be on the best treatment. So turmeric plays a role at a deep cellular level. These benefits are documented in almost every scientific and medical journal.
- Lowers inflammation
- Loaded with antioxidants that fight free radicals
- Boosts immunity
- Detoxifies the liver
- Boosts neurological health
- Helps manage arthritic joint aches, swollen joints, body pain, sore muscles, and so on
- Delays and prevents age-related neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and stroke
- Alleviates depression, boosts serotonin and dopamine
- Lower the risk of cardiovascular disease
- Improves memory
- Beneficial for skin conditions
- Promotes wound healing
- Effective for treating autoimmune conditions (Graves’ Disease and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis)
- Aids prevention and management of cancer
Ensure to invest in organic and pure turmeric loaded with curcumin for improved health benefits. Shop for it here.
These are only five foods that we have chosen to share with you. There continue to be many more. So, look for what suits you and use them well. Until next time, eat smart, move more, sleep right and breathe deep.