Share This Article
Khichdis have always been considered as Indian superfoods that are common in every Indian kitchen. They are extremely versatile and can be made with any dal, vegetable, rice, or millet.
This easy-to-digest variation to the classic dal khichdi is loaded with vegetables, palak, and mixed dals for added nutrition and flavor. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you don’t have time to cook, but also want to eat a clean meal.
In addition to being hearty and easy, it is packed with a fine balance of carbohydrates, good fats, protein, fiber, and minerals. This is an amazing recipe when you are under the weather because it is easily digestible. When you are sick, your body needs energy to break down food, which is why you need a meal that can be easily digested and absorbed by your body, so its energy can go towards healing itself.
Khichdis are known to be protein-rich superfoods in India. When you mix rice with a lentil in the right quantities, it becomes a complete protein. Everyone thinks that rice is filled with carbohydrates and lentils have protein, however, nutritional books show that, when mixed together, dal and rice work as synergies.
Serve this one-pot khichdi with some ghee and pair it with your favorite pickle for a comforting and healthy dinner.
3 tbsp golden ghee
2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1 tbsp onion seeds (kalonji)
2 green chillies (harimirch)
5 curry leaves (karipatha)
¼ tbsp hing (asafoetida)
2 small onions (pyaz)
1 tbsp ginger paste (adrak)
1 tbsp garlic paste (lensun)
2 tomatoes (tamatar)
1 tbsp salt (namak)
2 cups of carrot, capsicum, cauliflower, peas, potatoes, and french beans
1 tbsp chilli powder (mirchi)
1 tbsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
½ tbsp turmeric powder (haldi powder)
½ cup masoor dal soaked overnight (lentil)
½ cup soaked toor dal soaked overnight (pigeon pea)
¼ cup soaked urad dal soaked overnight
1 cup soaked rice
2 cups spinach (palak)
1 tbsp garam masala
1. In a kadhai, heat 2 tbsp golden ghee, cumin seeds, and 1 tbsp onion seeds
2. Then, add finely chopped chilies, curry leaves, and hing. Sauté for 1 minute.
3. Now, mix in finely chopped onions and wait for 3-5 minutes till they’re translucent.
4. Blend in ginger and garlic paste and cook for another minute.
5. To this, add finely chopped tomatoes and salt as per taste. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
6. Put in vegetables and cook for 3 minutes.
7. Season with chili powder, coriander powder, and turmeric powder and mix for 3 minutes.
8. Add masoor dal, toor dal, and urad dal with 3 cups of water and salt. Let it cook for 15-20 minutes till dal is soft.
9. Next, put in rice and 2 cups of water, and cook for another 10 minutes.
10. Fold in 2 cups of spinach and cook for 2 minutes.
11. Finally, add 1 garam masala, 1 tbsp golden ghee, and serve hot
- Sonamasuri white rice or Basmati brown rice work best for this recipe.
- Make sure to soak your lentils overnight ( 8-9 hours) for better digestion.
- Pre-washed baby spinach will cut down prep time. You can also puree the spinach if you don’t like the taste of the fibrous strands.
- You can choose to not add veggies or add the ones you like as per your preference.
- Add more water if you want a porridge-like consistency
- You can also sprinkle Luke’s immunity-boosting powder over the final preparation before serving.